Soccer and Machine Learning: hot topics for 2018
How good is a certain soccer player? Find out applying Machine Learning to Fifa 18!
I’m sure you’ve probably heard about the 2018 FIFA Football World Cup in Russia everywhere during the last few months. And, if you are a techy, I guess you also have realized that Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence are buzzwords too.
Recently, one of the developers I work with in UruIT published a blog post with a Machine Learning tutorial. He used the World Cup as the project’s foundation, and the result is a fun and practical tutorial that can help you to kick off your own Machine Learning project.
In the tutorial you’ll see how to:
- Apply some preprocessing steps to prepare the data;
- Perform a descriptive analysis of the data to better understand the main characteristics that they have;
- Practice how to train different machine learning models using scikit-learn, one of the most popular python libraries for machine learning;
- Iterate and evaluate the learned models by using unseen data.
- Compare these models until we find a good model that meets our expectations;
- Use the candidate model to perform predictions and to create a simple web application that consumes this predictive model.
Hope you have fun!